The Long Arc of the Moral Universe


One of their planned themes for this year’s annual event was Racial Justice and they were looking for videos to show. I was the lone woman of color in the room, compelled to speak into the silence that I felt was waiting for me, breaking one of my own rules about participating at such events. I suggested a video from Cracking the Codes: TheSystem of Racial Inequity a World Trust documentary by Shakti Butler. One of the stories in this documentary is told by Dr. Joy DeGruy, a renowned researcher, educator, and author who does lectures, workshops, and seminars related to her two decades of field experience in social work.

I’ve used the clip, “At the Grocery Store,” as an example of profiling and white privilege. It also has an answer for white women who always wonder what they can do about the overwhelming issues related to racial injustice. I thought it met their criteria: a short video that addresses women where they are, where they live.

The clip is just a head shot of Dr. DeGruy talking to the camera and telling her story. It’s pretty non-threatening. She often smiles as she recounts her story, not in happiness but in incredulity. And, as one would expect from a woman with multiple master’s degrees and a PhD, she is articulate and even-toned. It’s short and pithy, leaving white people with a sense of satisfaction that justice prevailed. I learned this the one time I used it to spark conversation about white privilege. This was not my take on the video.

I’ve been thinking recently why I have never used nor recommended another video of Dr. DeGruy in one of her lectures/workshops/seminars. This one deals with the long history of dehumanization of African Americans by European Americans that has led to racial injustice and a lack of empathy. This video is longer and lingers on some horrific images of lynchings.

DeGruy describes in detail how lynching victims were tortured and debased before and after their lynchings.  She calls attention to the young children witnessing the lynchings with apparent glee. Her voice is almost strident as she lays bare her emotions while delivering her researched facts. She gestures and engages with her audience as she speaks. She code switches and she does not smile. The camera does not linger on her face.

She brings dehumanization from these past events to the present, to our now, with modern-day versions of lynchings, still recognizable from the dehumanization and debasement. She leaves her listeners unsettled and uncomfortable. She offers no easy solution to keep them safe and leaves them with the reality that the work of racial justice will be long because it has a long history to overcome. And more people are likely to die before justice prevails.

I was contemplating why I had not recommended this second video and was struggling to write a blog post about my (cowardly) choice when another video came across my Facebook News Feed: How Southern socialites rewrote Civil War history”.

Oh, the conversations I’d like to have around this video! The content looks at the carefully laid plans of elite white Southern women who formed an organization called the Daughters of the Confederacy with the goal of shaping history’s perception of “The Lost Cause.” This video also documents their success in making their doctored history intricately woven into our current reality.


So, which video would I suggest? 

Why, all three, in the order I’ve listed them! With conversation between each one. What a rich experience that would be. It wouldn't be quick. It wouldn't be relaxing. But it would be meaningful. Isn't learning about racial injustice worth your time?

But this is not what is planned for the annual event. I’ve concluded (I hope erroneously) that conversation is not planned to go along with the one video they’re showing. Without that conversation, the video leaves it up to each individual to interpret it however she feels comfortable thinking about it.

Learning about racial injustice should not be comfortable and should not be done in isolation. Many voices must come to the conversation if we want to expand our understanding and make real steps towards justice. Otherwise, what’s the point? In teacher talk, what's the "takeaway" for us?

“Saw a great video about white supremacy! Here. Let me show it to you! Doesn’t it make you feel good to know that you can do this without much effort and make this world a better place?”

OR

“Saw some disturbing videos about racial injustice. I’m not sure you should see one of them because it’s raw and graphic. Heard some horrifying things and people got angry. The conversation got out of hand and people were sometimes rude! I almost walked out because I could barely take it all in. I’m still upset and I'm in deep despair about what has been done to people of color, how far we have to go to escape that past, and how much we still need to do to make this world better. I'm not sure I can do it.”

Next time, I take up the cross and go through door B. The universe is large and I sail it in a small boat. I pray I'm not the only one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can’t stop thinking about Mamie Till

By the Rivers of Babylon

Why I'm Not Writing My Story- An Author's Journey