Minnesota Annual Conference: Step to the Music




"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." 
(Henry David Thoreau, Walden)



Day 1:  Wii Polo: Did You Find Them Dancing in the House of the Lord?

One of my greatest joys at Annual Conferences are the worship services. They have been, for me, times to feel the spirit moving and binding us together -- in the proclamations and in the music.

Annual Conference 2019 disappointed me in the music. In fact, the music leader verbally expressed almost a contempt for contemporary Christian songs.  And I was looking forward to returning to church with some new songs for our church's worship experience.

The first disappointment was on Day 1 when we were promised international music; but only two -- maybe three -- songs even approached international: "Marching in the Light of God" and one whose title I don't know. There was also, perhaps, a German song -- maybe. 

A second disappointment was a lack of information available about the musical choice; I have no resource to check on titles. Since all the songs seemed to have the same rhythm, they fade into a single nebulous nothingness for me. In the end, it didn't matter because there was no music I cared to bring back.

Only once did I feel moved to stand to sing -- during "Marching in the Light of God." Even then, the rhythm didn't feel rhythmic enough; the beat was too much like all the other songs. Although there were hymns that I like, I only stood to sign -- not sing -- the ones I already knew. Nearly all the songs were familiar ones from the hymnals.

The proclamations were full of joyful spirit but my spirit was not moved by the music. I honestly tried that first day but I never really felt it. There was nothing to help move me through the next day of plenary and legislative voting. There was no dancing in this house. The spirit did not enter me through the music.

Day 2: Break Every Chain

They promised us jazz for the second day of Annual Conference and I anticipated jazz renditions of hymns. Instead, we got instrumentals of what I call smoky club jazz -- slow background "white noise" so people could eat and talk and not participate in the music. Where was the joy of swing jazz? There are books full of jazz hymns we could have sung; our keyboardist has several and plays them rather often at our worship services. 

I think this was the day the music director decided to create new lyrics to the tunes of TV theme songs from the 1960's and '70's. (But maybe I'm confusing it with Day 3.) Some people laughed and seemed to have a good time but I sat back singing different songs. I was not amused; I was waiting for jazz. Or was it gospel?

All day I was thinking about it being Juneteenth and hoped to hear one piece of music in recognition of this historic event. I'm not even sure it was mentioned. But while they were listening to their "put me to sleep" jazz, I was singing and dancing a slow swing to "Break Every Chain" in my mind and in my heart. And there I found power and rejoicing in the day.

Day 3: Every Praise

This was supposed to be gospel music day. I thought there might be a tamborine or two and invitations to clap hands. There are usually repeated lines in gospel songs so the congregation learns the lyrics and joins in even without invitation. I'm still waiting.

Instead this was the same as the other days. I don't know why the music director thought it was gospel. Gospel music should be about praise and moving in the spirit. Some gospel is slow, some faster. But by this day I realized the music director did not care for syncopation but always leaned on the same regular beat that by this day had become a dirge for me.

I ended the day asking, "Where's the gospel?" Considering some of the legislation that passed and needed celebration, I so much wanted to rejoice with a more Joyful Noise.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can’t stop thinking about Mamie Till

By the Rivers of Babylon

Why I'm Not Writing My Story- An Author's Journey