“I Remember, I Believe”

My maternal grandparents: Felix and Annie Mack

 

I don’t know how my mother walked her troubles down

I don’t know how my father stood his ground

I don’t know how my people survived slavery

I do remember that’s why I believe

 

Sometimes, when life becomes too much to bear, I escape into music – listening or singing songs with lyrics that resonate with me or dancing to the rhythmic invitation of the Holy Spirit to enter into grace.

 

When I don’t have the energy, I let Sweet Honey in the Rock soothe my soul with songs like “We Are,” “Sing Oh Barren One,” and “Balm in Gilead” from their album Sacred Ground. Or “Ballad of the Broken Word,” “Wanting Memories,” “No Mirrors in My Nana’s House,” and “Sojourner’s Battle Hymn” from Still on the Journey, their 25th Anniversary album.

 

Lately, since 2020, I’ve lingered, listening to “Stay on the Battlefield” (from Sacred Ground) and “Ella’s Song” (from Breaths) more and more because “We who believe in freedom cannot rest.” 


But some days it’s just so tiresome knowing we’ve pushed the battle lines back to the years before I was even born. Is this as far as we’ve come? What’s the point of staying on the battlefield after we’ve lost so much ground? When can we rest? How long can we continue believing?

 

I don't know why the rivers overflow their banks

I don't know why the snow falls and covers the ground

I don't know why the hurricane sweeps through the land every now and then

Standing in a rainstorm, I believe

 

To find my balance and my solace, to center me in God’s grace, I sing as I listen to “I Remember, I Believe.”

 

I don't know why the angels woke me up this morning soon

I don't know why the blood still runs through my veins

I don't know how I rate to run another day

I am here still running, I believe

 

My God calls to me in the morning dew

The power of the universe knows my name

Gave me a song to sing and sent me on my way

I raise my voice for justice, I believe

 

And my soul is lifted.“Grace upon grace” (John 1:14).

 




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can’t stop thinking about Mamie Till

By the Rivers of Babylon

Why I'm Not Writing My Story- An Author's Journey